COVID-19 Procedures and Guidelines
Sun City Anthem Hiking Club
The COVID-19 viral pandemic has upended many aspects of our lives, requiring sweeping restrictions on activities, work, travel, and social interaction. As you are aware, many of the activities sponsored by the HOA have been altered or suspended. The Hiking Club’s Executive Board does not want to cancel the hiking season, so after reviewing the CDC guidelines we agreed on the following measures:
- First and foremost – if you are not feeling well, have a fever or have been exposed to someone who has tested positive for the COVID virus – please stay home.
- Now for the hard part… if you test positive for COVID-19 after hiking with the club we are here to help if you allow us to. Your personal health information is confidential and we totally respect that. However, if you want us to help we are ready to do so. We have records that identify the people with whom you may have hiked. We can let those people (and only them) know that someone tested positive. This will enable them to take appropriate steps to get tested if they want to. If you want to alert us about testing positive for COVID, then the person you should contact is the club president, Susan Dona at 916-216-0887 or [email protected]. She will be the only person who knows of your situation unless you decide otherwise. You can tell her what you want the club to do. Nothing will happen regarding notifications unless you agree.
- To carpool or not to carpool will be the decision of each hiker. The hike leaders will not organize carpools. If you choose to carpool you must organize the pool yourself and we recommend that you:
- Limit vehicle occupancy to four.
- Keep the vehicle air circulation on outside air.
- Open the windows to allow outside air to circulate.
- Wear masks while in the vehicle.
- Hikers will assemble in their vehicles at the Union Center Parking Lot near the restrooms in the southwest corner.
- Check the hike detail sheet for departure time. As usual, arrive 15 minutes early. Remain in your vehicle unless you need to use the restrooms. When you are outside of your vehicle please wear a mask.
- The hike leader will check off hikers against the sign-up sheet and signal the drivers when it is time to leave.
- Hikers will caravan to the trailhead and arrive, as near as possible, at the same time.
- Once at the trailhead once you exit your vehicle keep a mask on. When the hike leader arrives he/she will conduct a head count to ensure all hikers are present.
- During this extraordinary time, and with the likely increase of vehicles, we will endeavor to schedule hikes that use trailheads with ample parking.
- Each hiker will carry a mask and hand sanitizer on the trail.
- If you have a reason for not wearing a mask – do not hike.
- If a hiker refuses to wear a mask the hike leader has the authority to ask the hiker to leave, providing the hiker has transportation. If they do not have transportation, the leader can cancel the hike.
- The hike leader will carry a few masks in a baggy to make available to hikers that forget to bring one.
- Hikers will no longer sign the liability waiver the morning of the hike.
- The waiver will be sent out to each member at the beginning of the hike season and as members of the Club you agree to the waiver. This was sent to you on October 15th, and is located on the Hiking Club website under the membership tab.
- The waiver is now a part of the Club membership application.
- Each group will be limited to 10 hikers and will maintain a social distance of six feet while on the trail.
- If there are more than 10 hikers, the hike leader will organize the participants into smaller groups.
- The hike leader will secure additional leaders for each group as needed.
- All hikers will wear masks when assembling at the trailhead, but may remove them once the hike is underway while maintaining social distancing.
- There will be a distance gap between hiking groups.
- During breaks hikers will maintain social distancing and will not share snacks.
- The hike leader will remind hikers of the rules prior to departure and during the hike, as necessary. Please respect the leader’s instructions.
Please be patient and cooperative while the hike leader organizes the groups and gets the hikes underway. This is new to us as well and we want to make sure you have a good time while safely enjoying the great outdoors.